Sunday, June 16, 2013

What to wear to a casual summer wedding

I think this will be just perfect. 


I used Simplicity 1610 which is a dress pattern, but I just used the skirt pieces. I love that it has nice flat pleats instead of gathers, because I don't need any extra fullness in the tummy area, thank you very much.  The pattern called for pleats in the back also, but I didn't like the way they looked and decided to go with gathers there. 

I also love the pocket detail, which is hard to see in the photo. They are nice roomy pockets and add to the casual vibe of the skirt with zero added bulk. My inspiration was this skirt by Sheridan French
 

Since the pattern I used was for a dress, I had to create the waist band. Sheridan's was just a little too high waisted for me, so I went with a 2 inch one that I think is just right. I'm in love with this fabric.  It's polyester from Hancock's, but has such a nice hand, and it was a pleasure to sew on. This skirt will see a ton of wear this summer with a t-shirt and flats.

The top is my own creation... I basically cut two rectangles, scooped out a little for the armholes, sewed a casing in the top, and threaded a pearl necklace through. The cream fabric was a little sheer and lightweight, so I self lined it and used french seams on the sides. My original vision was for a ribbon with a bow at the neckline, but nothing I tried seemed to look right. The pearls were my "make it work" moment.  My own are being re-strung so I had to buy a cheap fake set, but I think they are fine and just what this simple little top needed. Now I need to find some major earrings to complete the look. Here's a close up of the "collar"


All done...



2 comments:

  1. This is stunning! You're going to look fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the pearls is brilliant - and maybe "fake" ones are best to use in this application anyway. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete