Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sew Along!

As Anne, my favorite sewer from the Great British Sewing Bee would say, "Geronimo!"

I'm participating in my very first Sew Along! Two sewers whom I greatly admire from their Pattern Review entries have teamed up to lead a sew along of a charming skirt made out of ribbon.  Julie Starr and Sarah from the sewing blog Goodbye Valentino have mad sewing skills and excellent taste. If ever there was a time for me to jump in the pool, this is it!

The skirt is inspired by this J McLaughlin one:

I wasn't familiar with this brand until I saw Julie's version in one of her reviews and remember thinking it was just adorable. And I'm not the only one. So, many thanks to Sarah for hosting the "party!"

Ribbon shopping in this podunk town of mine is pathetic. I ended up at Hobby Lobby, and spent the better part of an hour with spools spread out on the floor of the ribbon aisle. There simply weren't enough colors of solid 1 1/2" ribbon to make a nice gradient so I totally switched gears and went with a pattern in what I hope will be complementary colors. 


This could end up being a hot mess, but for now I will think of these as "sherbet" colors and carry on with the project. Random stripes may end up being more pleasing than the blocks of colors... We'll see.  The actual skirt is now on sale for less than $50, so this is a labor of love, to be sure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment