Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Quick and comfy dress

This blackish/grayish lightweight linen has been languishing in my fabric stash for over a year. It was meant to be any number of things, but met its destiny in Vogue 8786.


I'm a little distrustful of patterns that only include sketches on the envelope. Kind of like learning after buying a Paula Deen cookbook that she was so rushed to get it finished  she just made up some of the recipes without ever testing them. Why would you admit that?

This pattern looked so simple, and the fabric was so old that I considered it free, so it didn't feel like too much of a risk. 

Because the fit was super un-structured and the fabric was so plain, it needed some kind of detail.  The shoulder seams extended into cap sleeves, which is a design element I don't necessarily love. I chose to finish the edges with self-bias, round the corners and add decorative shell buttons. I extended the bias into a little loop at the back for a closure. Here are closeups of the shoulder and back detail.





I made some fit adjustments at the side seams to give it a little bit of shape, and top stitched all the seams except for the sides with a double needle. It is a very subtle detail but it really adds a nice level of finishing to the dress. 

This little dress is perfect for work but could just as easily go to the beach. I love it. 

4 comments:

  1. I really like the shoulder detail, and the binding. Its a great way to snaz up a simple and elegant design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This dress and the added details elevated this pattern. It has been in my stash like forever (back of pile) now it has to move closer to the front. Your fabric and the fit is spot on. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete