Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Lilly" peplum top

I'm not sure if I feel more like Scarlett O'Hara or a Project Runway contestant after making a top for my daughter from a shower curtain.

Lilly Pulitzer clothing is adorable and spendy, and the fabric isn't available for purchase. The bedding/bath line is the best resource for yardage, although selection is limited to just a few patterns.



The fabric is 100% cotton, and not treated to be water resistant. 
When my daughter spied the Lilly shower curtain I had ordered, she immediately dreamed up a summer top. Specifically "a peplum top, with a fitted bodice, straight top and wide straps." 


I pulled  Vogue 8184 from my pattern file. This was the pattern I used for her first dress-up party in middle school and I recall it needing a ton of altering to fit her teeny-teen figure. Eight years later, a quick muslin of the size 8 was just about perfect! She envisioned a "circle" peplum, rather than a gathered one so I grabbed the skirt pieces from Layla's sundress and used them to cut a little 6" flounce. I removed some fullness the same way to avoid a "tutu" effect. 





I cut the label from the shower curtain and stitched it into the top. Not sure why my picture won't rotate. 

The shower curtain is 72"x72" so I have plenty of material to play with. Here are a few other things I have used it for...



A sun hat for a dear friend's baby girl using a free Oliver and S pattern.



A couple of these frame clutch purse for my etsy shop.  

And I still have about 3/4 yard left!! 

3 comments:

  1. What a clever use of a shower curtain! I love the top and everything else that you've made from it. Now, I've got to go check out the shower curtain aisle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you the clever one??!! I would never have dreamed of using the shower curtain, but I'll be on the lookout for one! The top is darling and the fit is great. I know your daughter is thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is the baby?? I love the fit of the peplum top. My X used to work in the alterations department at Saks. He use to bring me home labels to sew in my clothes LOL. Seeing your label brought back memories. I love Lilly Pulitze prints. I am always looking for either her or Missoni prints.

    ReplyDelete